Buna-N or NBR is a polymer of butadiene and acrylonitrile, and is used for extruded as well as molded products. The O-rings made from this material are valued for their excellent mechanical and resistance properties. SSP Seals provides nitrile O-rings, which are designed for closed environments. These seals provide excellent sealing and reliable performance in harsh environments. O-rings can be used as a shaft seal, or face to face gasket style seal. These sealing solutions are technically mechanical gaskets.
Beneficial Features of Nitrile O-Rings Provided by SSP Seals
Following beneficial features of Buna O-rings suggest why they are becoming a choice in many sensitive areas of application:
- These O-rings provide excellent resistance against a wide variety of chemicals. These chemicals include mineral oils, aliphatic hydrocarbons, hydraulic fluids, petroleum greases, vegetable oils, and water.
- Nitrile O-rings are ideal for food and beverage processing applications.
- Buna-N has an operating temperature range between -22 °F to 212 °F.
- These nitrile O-rings are available in phthalate free versions and are metal detectable/x-ray inspectable.
- Nitrile has a good tensile strength and provides excellent tear, as well as abrasion resistance. Other physical properties include:
- Low-temperature flexibility
- High gas permeability
- Good elongation and compression set resistance
- Good wear resistance
- The nitrile O-rings allow both linear and rotary movements.
Buna O-rings are not recommended for the following:
- Strong acids
- Ozone, weathering, and sunlight
- Halogenated hydrocarbons
- Ketones (MEK)
- Auto/Aircraft Brake Fluids
To know more about nitrile O-rings and other O-rings we provide, please contact us at the earliest.