The food and pharmaceutical industry is regulated by stringent purity standards. Although food manufacturers adopt high standards of purity, there is a concern regarding particulates contaminating the food during production. Due to repeated sterilization, clean-in-place, and regular cleaning of components and parts in the pharmaceutical, beverage, and food processing equipment, the parts may degrade over time. There are chances that the particulates from the machinery may infiltrate into the food item under production. The biggest challenge is these particulates remain undetectable to naked eyes or advanced X-ray systems and metal detection systems. The particulates may alter the chemistry and quality of food items, affect the working of machine, and sometimes lead to major product recalls, thereby endangering the reputation of the brand. To address this concern, SSP Seals has introduced X-ray inspectable and metal detectable elastomer sheets.
Beneficial Features of X-Ray Detectable Sheets
Our X-ray metal detectable elastomer sheets can be used as barrier protection over conveyor belts. They are also ideal for producing X-rayable metal detectable gaskets, custom profiles, and so on. The following features of these sheets make them popular:
- All X-ray inspectable elastomers are designed for easy metal detection and in-line X-ray inspection systems. This detectability enables food, beverage, and pharmaceutical manufacturers to detect the contaminated product and make suited replacements.
- X-ray metal detectable sheets are flexible and they can maintain their flexibility at cryogenic temperatures.
- Metal detectable gasket material sheets can be customized to meet your application requirements.
- This sheet can be availed with self-adhesive backing.
- The sheet is available in the size of 36″ x 36″, with standard thicknesses.
These X-ray inspectable elastomers enable users to take the necessary steps to replace worn parts and avoid expensive downtimes as well as decrease the operating costs.
Detectable Silicone Rubber Sheet
Metal and X-ray Detectable Sheets
SSP Seals can provide metal detectable and X-ray inspectable sheets in the following materials:
- Silicone: Our silicone metal detectable rubber sheets make a perfect choice for gaskets, cooling mats, and oven seals. This sheet combines heat resistance and thermal stability to provide a better service. The silicone metal detectable rubber sheets are also favored for low chemical reactivity and low toxicity – the most important requirement in the food processing industry. Silicone rubber sheets can withstand temperatures from -80° F to 400° F.
- Buna-N Rubber: Metal detectable food grade gaskets made of BUNA rubber are durable and sturdy enough to handle the discharge and suction of dairy and food products. The elastomer rubber can withstand sterilization and cleaning, and can resist vegetable oils and fats. They can withstand temperatures from -40°F to 225°F.
- Tuf-Steel®: This material exhibits outstanding leak-proof performance, and is mainly used in sanitary steam pipe connections, where the temperature ranges vary from -20°F to 500°F.
- FKM Fluroelastomer: Fluorocarbons are FDA-approved and high-performance silicone rubber materials. Fluorocarbon sheets make a good metal detectable gasket material owing to their beneficial properties. The sheets can withstand high temperatures and are water and chemical resistant. The FKM elastomer also assures oxygen stability and low gas permeability. It can work perfectly in the temperature range from -40 °F to +437 °F.
- EPDM: Our EPDM sheets make an ideal metal detectable food grade gasket material owing to their different mechanical properties. For instance, this material assures excellent flexibility, robustness, and can withstand a wide range of temperatures from -40°F to 284°F. All these properties make it an ideal choice for food processing applications.
Applications of Metal Detectable and X-ray Inspectable Sheets
Owing to their aforementioned properties, the X-ray inspectable and metal detectable sheets make a perfect choice for the following applications:
Quality Assurance Documentation
Being one of the leading providers of FDA approved sanitary gaskets, seals, and parts for the food and pharmaceutical industries, we understand the purity requirements of these industries. All gaskets are accompanied with a certificate of conformance. We have been continuously improving our quality system to ensure that we stay true to our commitment.
Our metal detectable and X-ray inspectable elastomer sheets meet the most stringent standards for purity
- U.S. Pharmacopeia Class VI Certification*
- Cytotoxicity Criteria*
- Title 21CFR177.2600 and 177.1550
- Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP)
- ASME-BPE Standards
- Animal Derived Ingredient Free*
*Buna does not pass U.S. Pharmacopeia Class VI Certification And Cytotoxicity and is not ADI Free®.