6 Reasons that Explain Why Silicone Seals are used in Food Service Equipment
Nowadays, the use of silicone has increased owing to its properties that are conducive for different industries. The food and beverage industry is not an exception to this. Silicone seals are increasingly finding their applications in food service equipment.
6 Benefits of Silicone in F&B Applications
What are the properties of silicone that make it the right choice as a sealant material in food and beverages industry? Here are the top six reasons for the same:
- Durability: One of the major benefits of silicone seal is the durability that it offers. A Silicone seal does not weaken at high temperatures. According to most manufacturers, a seal made of silicone can last for 10 to 35 years.
- Flexibility: Silicone is flexible. Thus, it can be used to fill in gaps that are likely to expand or contract. In case of food serving equipment, this will help in keeping the equipment properly sealed.
- Water and Chemical Resistance: Silicone is resistant to moisture, water, and even hazardous liquids. Hence, it can be used to protect F&B equipment from dilute acids, solvents, and aqueous solutions.
- Resistance to Extreme Temperatures: Silicone has another property of resisting extreme temperatures. Owing to its chemical nature, silicone can perform well for longer periods as compared to other materials. It is capable of retaining its mechanical properties over a long period of time without becoming weak.
- Quick Drying Capabilities: Silicone seals take less time to dry as compared to other materials. Thus, it is considered to be the best material for sealing, particularly when one wants to get the sealing work done in less time.
- Strength: Last but one of the most important properties – the strength. Silicone seal provides more adhesive strength as compared to the other types of seals. It has a tensile strength equal to 1015 psi.
The properties explained above explain the reason why silicone seals is the right sealant material when it comes to food and beverages industry. Overall, using silicone seals in food service equipment would improve the quality, performance, and durability of the equipment.