Why Polyurethane is Chosen to Manufacture of Food Grade Gaskets & Seals
Unlike the past, food and beverage industry is focusing more on safety and sanitation in their production processes to prevent the rate of contamination. Being one of the decisive components in almost all food processing equipment and systems, the gaskets and seals have also undergone several modifications. Instead of using the gaskets and seals made from normal plastic materials, the food processing industry has started using equipment and systems with food grade gaskets and seals. This drastic move was based on the realization that most of the food contamination or sanitary issue is caused from sealing or gasket units made from poor quality materials. There are a plethora of choices when it comes to gasket material including virgin PTFE, polyurethane, EPDM, silicone and Viton. Amongst these, polyurethane is chosen to make FDA compliant gaskets & seals. What accounts for the popularity of this sealing material? This post gives you the answer.
Reasons for the Popularity of Polyurethane as a Sanitary Gaskets & Seals Material
Several properties and features of polyurethane have made it the most suitable material while making FDA compliant gaskets & seals. A few amongst the noteworthy features of the material are listed below:
- Polyurethane, which is an extremely versatile elastomer, is known for its high load bearing capacity.
- The material has high impact and abrasion resistance.
- Along with high tensile properties, the material also possesses excellent tear resistance.
- Polyurethane possesses exceptional resistance to cracking, tearing, and breaking.
- It resist harsh environmental factors involving heat, solvents, oils and acids.
- This material possesses high mechanical strength even at low temperatures.
- Polyurethane lasts longer compared to other sealing and gasket materials.
- It has good temperature capabilities, and possess wide molecular structural variability
- The material do not support fungal, mold and mildew growth even when it is in constant contact with edible items.
- Polyurethane can be formulated with various color pigments to produce several types of sanitary gaskets & seals.
- It offers superb performance at temperatures ranging from -30°F to 220°F.
- It is formulated using silicone, and possess outstanding tensile strength, elongation, and compression set.
- Polyurethane is resistant to mineral and vegetable oils, and aromatic hydrocarbons, making it a perfect choice for food grade applications.
- This material meets FDA requirements and NSF regulations for food processing applications, and is non-toxic, non-marking, and non-allergenic.
The food processing industry is demanding in terms of sanitation requirements. This calls for the manufacturing of seals and gaskets using FDA approved materials such as the one discussed in this post. Other than Polyurethane, Virgin PTFE, EPDM, Silicone and Viton are also widely chosen in the making of FDA compliant gaskets & seals. If you are in the manufacturing of food grade equipment and systems, assure using the best of its kind FDA grade seals and gaskets. Get the finest quality food grade gaskets and seals from SSP Seals.
- Why is FDA-approved Silicone Rubber Chosen for Gaskets and Seals in the Food Processing Industry?
- How to Avoid Bacterial Growth in F&B Industries ?
- 4 Main FDA – Approved Rubber ( or Elastomer ) Materials for Food Grade Seals
- Preventing Listeriosis – Recommended Cleaning Procedures by the USDA
- Presenting SSP Seals’ New Online Avatar!
- World Class Food Grade Seals from SSP Seals
- Sealing Solutions for the Food and Beverages Industry