Storage Recommendations of ANSI Flange Gaskets
Flange gaskets are precisely engineered products, which are positioned between two pipes to prevent leaks from the flange joint. These flanges are manufactured mainly using FKM Black or White Fluoroelastomer, Platinum Silicone, Buna &, EPDM, Tuf-Flex®, Tuf-Steel® materials to offer reliable service in different applications. Industries such as HVAC petrochemical, oil & gas, electronic, chemical, medical, and food processing rely on ANSI (which is a standard given for flange gaskets) flange gaskets to leak-proof the pipe flanges. However, if these gaskets are not stored properly by following the manufacturer recommended storage requirements, they fail to offer you with the expected results. This post will be useful for those who keep this gasket types in stock for a long time before they are put to use in applications.
A few Storage Guidelines to Assure Long Service Life for ANSI Flange Gasket
By implementing good storage practices, you can minimize the deterioration of flange gaskets substantially, and thus keep them on the shelf for over 10 years with no damage. Ignoring the storage recommendations will expose you to unexpected consequences, like leaks from the flange joints. Keeping a note of the below said points helps keep the gasket’s integrity while augmenting their shelf life.
- Flange gaskets must be stored in a cool and dry location in such a way that they must not be exposed to direct sunlight, excessive temperature, and humidity.
- They must be kept in places wherein there is no chemical and dust accumulation.
- It is advisable to store these sealing materials in a covered place and away from large receiving doors.
- ANSI flange gaskets must not be stored beyond the time previously described by the manufacturer.
- Handle the gaskets with clean hands to ensure the best sealing performance when used in applications requiring utmost hygiene.
- Store the gaskets preferably in their original containers within the temperature range 40-deg F to 80-deg F with 40 to 75 % relative humidity.
- Always prefer storing the sealing material in horizontal position on flat surfaces to prevent shocks or damage.
- Prefer darkened storeroom where there is no scope for Non-ultraviolet (UV) or low-UV producing lights.
The performance of every ANSI flange gaskets including the mostly used tri-clamp flange gaskets depends on the way they are stored before they are put in applications. Optimum storage conditions with minimal dust, temperature fluctuations, UV light and chemical vapors definitely increases gaskets’ shelf life. Being the most critical components in a piping system, the users cannot afford using damaged gaskets that fail to function to the designed parameters. Always follow the manufacturer’s storage recommendations to assure optimum performance and extended service life.