Know the Benefits of Metal and X-ray Detectable Seals and Gaskets
Nov 20, 2020 Gaskets | Metal Detectable Gaskets
Seals, O-rings, gaskets, and so on are some crucial parts of an enclosed system which help prevent leakage, connections, and contamination, facilitate airtight, and so on. However, with excessive use, these seals or gaskets wear out or break into small pieces, which may enter the inner system. So, what really prevents contamination can also be the cause of it. Finding these particles or pieces in the inside system or fluid is challenging. This job is eased if these seals are made of materials which can be detected through metal detectors or X-ray detection systems. This post discusses the benefits of using X-ray detectable O-rings or metal and x-ray detectable seals and gaskets.
Benefits of Using Metal Detectable Seals and Gaskets
While the process equipment must be tested and maintained periodically to check for any wears of any of the parts, it is also important to use especially sealing parts which can be easily removed if required. There are many benefits of using metal detectable seals and gaskets. Here are some of them:
- Using metal detectable seals reduces the risk of production downtime and expensive repairs.
- At times worn out inferior quality seals may enter the system, and it is possible that nobody realizes it. This will lead to product recalls if contaminated products enter the market.
- A metal detector very quickly detects the elastomeric fragments of these sealing parts if they happen to fray into the system.
- Good quality and metal detectable sealing parts are commonly made of EPDM rubber, silicon, turf-steel, PTFE, BUNA, and other such elastomeric materials. Aside from being metal detectable, these materials are robust and can tightly grip to avoid leakage.
- These elastomeric materials can also withstand the harsh industrial environment, high temperatures, abrasion, and so on.
- Apart from seals, they can be used in the form of fillers, sheets, screens, and stems depending upon the application requirement.
- By using these parts, manufacturers can be rest assured of leakage and damage prevention.
- Many of these seals are FDA approved for use in food and healthcare industries.
- Good quality metal detectable sealing parts can be recognized through the following certifications, and the manufacturer would always offer the certificate of conformance:
- S. Pharmacopeia Class VI Certification
- Cytotoxicity Criteria
- Title 21CFR177.2600 and 177.1550
- Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP)
- ASME-BPE Standards
- Animal Derived Ingredient Free*
- Buna-N rubber is excellent for gaskets and is FDA approved for use in the food industry as it is non-toxic and non-allergic. It also has excellent oil and heat resistance.
- If your facility is set up in cold weather areas or you require temperature control below the freezing point, then FKM fluoroelastomer is an excellent option. They are not only chemical resistant and metal detectable but can also resist temperatures from -40 to +437 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you have a manufacturing unit or process industry comprising boiler or pressure systems, which require high-quality X-ray detectable O-rings, ensure you source them from a certified manufacturer and supplier. SSP Seals is one of the leading manufacturers of metal detectable gaskets, O-rings, seals, and more.