The Popularity and Benefits of Oil Seals for Industrial Applications
Jan 21, 2014 Industrial seals | Oil Seals
Oil seals are used for critical applications in industries such as oil, gas, and petrochemicals. They are designed to prevent leakage from the sealing lip and rotary shaft by creating a thin oil layer between them. Oil seals can be produced using well-known sealing materials including PolyTetraFluoroEthylene (PTFE), silicon, nitrile, and fluoroelastomer.
The different types of oil seals makes them a dynamic product, which can be used in a number of different industrial applications such as:
- Electric motors
- Paper rolls
- Industrial pumps and fans
- Customized equipment
Benefits of Oil Seals
The strength, flexibility, and durability of oil seals provide a number of benefits to various industrial applications:
- Performance under Extreme Environments: Oil seals have the capability to work under extreme duress in terms of temperature. This makes them perfect for fluid environment applications. Oil seals work at optimum levels between temperatures of – 70oC and +260oC.
- Low Friction Properties: Oil seals are designed for low friction applications. The lubrication within the oil ensures that the sealing lip does not touch the shaft and prevents burning of the sealing lip.
- Long Shelf Life: Sealing materials such as PTFE and fluoroelastomer ensure that the oil seals can be used for long periods of time.
- Easy Assembly: Oil seals can be easily replaced within a few minutes without disassembling the entire machine. Oil seals are also compact in size, making easier to handle and replace when it comes to assembly.
- Reduced Weight: Manufacturers design oil seals to be light in weight, while having the required strength properties to work under stressful environments.
- Good Substitutes for Standard Seals: Specialized oil seals can be used as an alternative for standard lip seals that are used for dry or poorly lubricated conditions.
As one can see, there are many benefits that come with using high performance oil seals for industrial applications.